Timex has recently come up with a new campaign for its sports watches. Watch it below:
In my view, the commercial is poorly made and not much thought has gone into the conceptualization process. Certain points to note about the campaign:
1. International Models: Seriously, why !? I fail to understand why international models had to be utilized (unless this was a US ad and was simply retelecast in India). Using foreign models can only help when you want to establish yourself as an international brand (drawing from an association of ‘international’ with ‘quality’).
Now, for watches, had this association been made to Switzerland, it would have made sense since Swiss watches are associated with high precision and quality. US does not particularly enjoy any such associations to be leveraged to Timex’s advantage
2. Highlighting Watch Features : The ad does manage to highlight features present and valued in a sports watch, such as altimeter, waterproof etc.
3. Brand Name Recall by Viewers : The problem is that while the watch features are highlighted well, the brand name does not really register properly to the viewer. It is just flashed as a name in a logo and it is not prominently showcased on the watch itself. So, the viewer does not build a connect between Timex and the features.
4. CWC ’11 Association: This was the most interesting aspect of the ad, which was also a big let down. Timex is the official partner of the Cricket World Cup 2011. But the ad does not even talk about cricket at all! No association at all is established to cricket – neither in the ad copy, and perhaps more importantly, nor in any of the product features. I would have loved it if the ad talked about a watch worn by a cricketer and showcases features such as shockproof, shatterproof etc.
5. The final shot special effect: Having a swimming pool at the terrace of a multi-storied? Does it really add to the value of the watch?
All in all, I wasn’t too impressed with the campaign, or for that matter the choice of product being launched. An association with CWC wasn’t leveraged enough, especially w.r.t both CWC and IPL coming up.